Welcome to the shortest SUNSPOT ever. So, just as I stated last week... there was even less info this week than there was last week, so this particular post is probably going to be shorter than usual. Add onto that all the poo-flinging going on, and it's even harder to find legit material.
Expect all that to change with CitCon next weekend. (Hopefully.)
There is an article explaining what it is exactly that the Endeavor does, plus the first Q&A series for the ship.
Then there was the usual update post for Star Marine... and not really anything else.
There isn't even a media section this week, because we got nothing that isn't already on the RSI website or in a video. Sandi usually posts something, but it was all pretty much people-shots, with on exception for an Endeavor concept that we saw during the sale.
But here is a set of ArcCorp glam shots, just so you have something to look at:
10 FTC, September 28thAs always, check INN for the massive writeups. Formatting is a bit messed up because I normally copypasta the questions then do my own summaries for the answers, but the questions were done in a funky way that gets messed up for whatever reason.
IT’S BEEN AWHILE SINCE WE’VE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT SHIP ARMOR. CAN YOU TELL US WHERE IT IS IN DEVELOPMENT AND WHEN WE’LL BE ABLE TO SEE IT IMPLEMENTED IN THE GAME?
It's already in the game, it's currently just invisible because it doesn't attach to an item port yet, nor is there graphic representation like planned. It may also seem like it isn't at times because Physically Based Damage is not in yet, and everything has pre-defined set damage values.
COULD YOU BRIEFLY GO OVER HOW COORDINATE SPACES WORK IN THE VERSE, PER-SYSTEM COORDINATES AND GALAXY WIDE COORDINATES.
Right now in their version of the game, each system's sun is considered the origin point, and they follow an XYZ coordinate system based on meters. Galaxy wide it's the same thing, just on a much larger scale with a lot of empty nothingness in between systems.
IT’S BEEN SAID THAT THERE WILL BE LEVELS OF “CONTROLLED” AND “UNCONTROLLED” SPACE, AND THAT THOSE WISHING TO AVOID COMBAT WITH OTHER PLAYERS SHOULD STICK TO THE MORE CONTROLLED AREAS. DOES THIS MEAN THAT CERTAIN CAREER PATHS (EXPLORATION, FOR EXAMPLE) THAT NECESSITATE TRAVEL INTO UNCONTROLLED OR UNCHARTED SPACE WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO PURSUE WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF PVP.
Uncontrolled space just means literally that, it's uncontrolled by any government entity, so whatever happens will happen. There is a chance you will meet others out there who are real players, or who are not. There are no guarantees. There is always the possibility of PvP anywhere, no matter where you are... just in uncontrolled areas there will be no authorities to answer a distress call.
OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS A LOT OF US HAVE ACCUMULATED A NUMBER OF LARGE MULTI CREW SHIPS. CAN YOU GIVE US AN UPDATE ON YOUR VISION FOR NPC CREWS AND WHAT LIMITATIONS IF ANY WE ARE LIKELY TO SEE?
They will likely be mandatory in the larger ships, but the difference is that an NPC will only be able to do a single task that you assign to it, whereas an actual person would be able to multitask or repond more readily to an emergency. That will be the biggest limitation.
WILL ORGS BE ABLE TO ENGAGE IN “GUILD WARS” AGAINST OTHER ORGS? ENTER ALLIANCES THAT GIVE SOME KIND OF BONUS OR BENEFITS? AND COULD AN ENTIRE ORG BECOME BLACKLISTED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT GROUPS LIKE THE UEE ADVOCACY, SIMILAR TO HOW IN REAL LIFE A PERSON CAN BE ARRESTED FOR BEING INVOLVED WITH A KNOWN CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION LIKE A GANG, SYNDICATE, OR VIOLENT EXTREMIST GROUP?
Of course. There will be content for all levels. The solo freelancer who wants to strike it out on their own, the person with a few friends that want to go do something, and then the large guilds. Reputation will matter for both guilds and for the individual.
HOW WILL TRADING IN SC WORK? WILL THERE BE SOME KIND OF AUCTION HOUSE LIKE IN MMOS? WILL IT BE POSSIBLE TO NOT ONLY SELL GOODS, E.G DATAS FOR RARE ORE-FIELDS, CAN I MAKE SOMETHING LIKE A PROFIT SHARING FOR THE ORE?
Standard, straightforward trading. If profit sharing comes into play, it will have to be on an honor system, because at this point in time there won't be anything to help with that in game. Maybe something to look at later, but not right now.
FROM A DESIGN PERSPECTIVE DO YOU SEE INFLATION OR DEFLATION AS A BIGGEST THREAT TO AN MMOS ECONOMY? AND IS ONE OF THE MANY AIMS OF THIS POLICY OF SETTING A REAL WORLD PRICE IN UEC TO COMBAT GOLD FARMER INDUCED INFLATION?
Economic inflation is a problem in MMO's, but they're hoping to clamp down on that somewhat by having AI's doing their lives in the background. They will also be trading with real credits, so any sudden surges or big effects on the economy by players will tempered by the AI. There will still be moments of crazy, but hopefully they won't be as severe as they have been seen to be in the past in other games.
WILL NPCS WORK FOR A PLAYER, EVEN WHEN THE PLAYER WILL GO OFFLINE? OR, CAN I HIRE NPCS TO DO MISSIONS(MINING, HAULING…) AND MYSELF IS SITTING IN THE HANGAR OR BAR WAITING FOR THE NPC TO FINISH THE MISSION BY THEMSELVES?
Offline, no. If you're online and you hire an NPC to run cargo, they will do that for you. Nothing will progress if you're offline though.
WILL THERE BE TRADE LANES SIMILAR TO THE GAME FREELANCER OR WILL STAR CITIZEN HAVE OPEN SPACE TRAVEL ONLY?
There won't be mechanical ones like there was in Freelancer. You'll be able to travel anywhere at any point, though there will be nav buoy's to display 'main' trade lanes which are most likely to be patrolled by the authorities for protection. You'll be using 'cruise' mode a lot if you're following the bouy's between quantum jumps.
WILL PLAYERS TRAVELLING IN FLEETS BE ABLE TO SEND OUT SHIPS TO SCOUT THE ROUTE AHEAD? HOW DO YOU ENVISION THIS WORKING WITH INSTANCE AND THE MATCHMAKING SYSTEM?
If a player is part of an organization or a group, then the servers will do their best to keep everyone in the same instance at all times. There may be times where the group is too large, but they're still working with server infrastructure and netcode as much as possible to keep people from being split up. Time will tell on this one.
ATV, October 1stSanta Monica
- Ship designer and tech designer Randy Vasquez is working on the Caterpillar. Medium-size hauler.
- John Riggs is working on rigging a bunch of characters.
- Constellation is having the finishing touches added. Should be flyable very quickly.
- Next section of ArcCorp coming with the next patch, the 'construction' zone.
- Buggy usable in ArcCorp soon, maybe next patch, not sure yet.
- QA gets to see cool stuff, but can’t tell you.
- Issue council has gone live. They’ve seen lots of submissions coming in, but there are a few ways to improve bug submissions:
1. Clear and Concise. Description needs to be crystal clear.
2. Keep it simple. No need for a thesaurus.
3. 3-5 reproductions of the issue before you submit a bug.
4. Be as unbiased as possible. A feature isn’t a bug, just because you dislike it
5. No suggestions or reviews. Issue council is purely for technical bugs.
- Team is very busy. Lots of work going into SQ42 core-systems right now, and some non-core systems.
- Focusing this week on level design. Andreas is the lead level designer. Working with the UK office building singleplayer levels and content for the PU.
- Building a system of procedurally generated missions, that are scalable and reusable, so there can be lots of elements to make missions interesting and replayable. It's a multi-tiered system. Lots of modules that combine to create an entire mission. All the modules can be connected and replaced in different ways, changing up the mission.
Reverse the Verse
- Q: Will there be more ballcaps? A: In the new year there’ll be some SQ42 caps available. They’ve got a lot of requests for flex-fit, so they’re looking into that.
- Q: Any SQ42 shirts soon? A: Yes! They’re going to be selling some SQ42 to go along with Citizen Con. On the 10th, there’ll be an update SQ42 shirt, a travel mug, and a patch set. Patch set includes RSI, SC, and SQ42 patches, and subscribers get a special fourth patch.
- Q: What ships will be sold at Citizen Con? A: That’s a surprise. Wait and see. One especially cool ship will be sold, a ship we haven’t seen before.
- Q: How’s Cutlass feedback going? A: Disco has some emails out to F42 for information, but nothing yet. They’re working on it.
- Lisa Ohanian has arrived.
- Q: Can you release style guides to fans? A: They might release the style guides to fans once they’re finalized.
- Q: Will Idris be ready with Multi-crew? A: Nope, probably not.
- Q: Crucible? A: Who knows?! They’ve got the work they want, working on some concept art, but no new info about when a sale for it’ll be. (*cough*CitCon*cough*)
- No current plans to sell the F* Lightning. (that includes CitCon)
- CCU system is coming along. They’re hopeful it might appear next week, just before CitizenCon.
- Q: Carrack? A: Nothing new. Slated for next year.
- Q: Connie? A: Doing excellently for the final push. Just had a review on it, having daily quick updates on everything for the Connie, as it’s being finished up.
- Q: Endeavor: How many modules / pods are planned? A: Ben gave a huge write up about it, different categories, different specialty pods, etc… It’ll be a while before we see additional pods. plenty of ideas, but they need time to build more out.
- No news on the Drake Dragonfly.
- Q: Can the Endeavor land? A: Short answer yes it can.
- Q: What’s the difference between CIG and RSI? A: Initially, CIG was the entire company, RSI was the in-fiction organization. Now, RSI is the name of one of the subgroups, but Ben’s not sure which one. There are different business entities, F42 UK, F2 Germany, and RSI is one of them.
- Q: Connie modularity? A: Right now, the guys working on it are just working on the Andromeda. Lisa’s been putting together scheduled projections for what they’ll do after, for how many people to work on Variants and Modules and such.
- Q: If you leave the drive section and science section in orbit, what stops people from stealing it? A: There are a lot of ships that you’ll leave most of them in orbit. They won’t’ be easily stolen. Park it above Terra, probably safe. Park it above Nyx, maybe not so much.
- Q: Archimedes? A: Gurmukh is working on that right now, going pretty well.
- Q: Can I upgrade my Carrack to an Idris? A: If and only if the Idris is available. Only covers ships that are on sale.
- Q: More about the BMM this year? A: Probably not this year. Might have an idea of when it’ll start getting work next year. It’s on the first tier of ships to get tackled, but it won’t get started before the end of the year.
- Q: Will CCU system open options for limited time sales when they go up? A: Yes.
- Q: 890 jump have medical facilities? A: Lisa’s not sure. It’s a big ship though with lots of room for modularities, so there’ll probably will be a variant with those abilities.
- Q: Starfarer? A: Currently being worked on by 2-3 people in the UK.
- Q: FPS test play? A: They had one today, but it wasn’t able to happen, but they fixed the blocker already. We’ll find out more in tonight’s FPS post.
- Not going to PTU today for 1.3, but they’re going to it very very soon.
- Q: Can any employee boot up the game and play the latest test branch? A: You could, but it takes a long time if you haven’t updated in a while. For company policy, anyone’s allowed to try, but most of them don’t have time.
- Q: Will there be posters? A: We’re trying but it’s difficult to do them. They do want to do a ‘Collectors art set’ that’s on the radar. They know we want art.
- Q: Constellation modularity? A: Making a decision in the next week or two about that, and where resources will go. Likely a few people will stay on that, might roll out later, but who knows. Same thing with the Herald, working on the base model.
- Q: Will larger ships have a more complicated startup sequence than fighters? A: Question for designers. Almost certainly, but ask Designers.
- Q: Are there going to be new models of ships soon? A: Working out the Connie models first, then they’ll move on to more maybe. They still have Connie models, but they have to fulfill the smaller version of it too, then in the future they’ll consider models of more ships.
- Q: Monthly report? A: There is one. Lisa wrote all about the LA Art section. The internal deadline for it was today, but they’re doing it the same day as CitizenCon this month. Many people are working on cool things for Cit Con that they can’t talk about. They’re writing it as if Citizen Con has happened, it’ll be published on the 10th.
- Q: Will LTI be kept if CCUing to another ship? A: Yes. The new CCU system is all to help original backers keep their packages.
- Q: Concierge Citizen Cards? A: They won’t have your name on it, but it is just for Concierge.
- Q: If they have LTI on a ship, is it possible to permanently lose the ship forever? A: Ben’s not sure, and he won’t speculate. It’ll be looked into in the PU.
- No news on Avenger or Herald modular parts.
- Q: What ship’s most similar to Serenity? A: Probably the Freelancer. According to Lisa. Disco thinks the Carrack. Carrack in size, Freelancer in spirit.
- Q: Taurus flight ready when Andromeda goes live? A: No. Base first, rest after.
Even RtV was relatively short. Oh well.
So yeah, it was a pretty small update this week, as I commented it would be last week. This upcoming weekend though...
The moment of truth. Fingers crossed that it will be big big big. We shall see.
See you all next week.
Keep cool and game on,