Hello again, everyone.
Let's get right on into it all, shall we?
There wasn't much going on this week, other than PTU 1.1.6 hitting the test servers and 1.1.5 getting a few hotfixes to solve some issues that had cropped up. I believe they are up to 1.1.5d now.
We got our weekly Star Marine status update, and it looks like there are more blockers than before, though that could just be a perceived thing on my part.
After four months, there was another video made about the Wonderful World of Star Citizen, with some pretty cool fan imagined works shown off. Not sure how often this one is supposed to happen, but four months seems like a long time.
GamesCom details were released, for those interested. Admittedly, those interested probably already know all about it by now - but for those curious who don't otherwise pay attention, check the details on the link. As always, there will be a digital trophy (subscribers get two, and the second is different), and a poster. The following ships will also be on sale on the website during the event:
Lastly, there was a Merlin Q&A session, that may (or may not) have an answer to questions you might have had.
- Aegis Retaliator
- Anvil Carrack
- Drake Caterpillar
- RSI Orion
- Aegis Reclaimer
- Khartu-al (Xi’an Scout)
- Banu Merchantman
Again, there isn't much going on that we haven't already seen so far. They are holding a lot of stuff back for the Gamescom reveal, which is supposed to absolutely knock our socks off. There have been some images, which I will post below, that shows them working on the Gamescom demo. In those images, people have been able to pick out little details, like turret usage (Constellation and Retaliator) and that they are in or flying through an asteroid field.
All these images are from last week, showcasing that they are working on aspects of the demo.
Here is a collection of images from this weeks Around the Verse, which shows off the internals of the Vanguard.
10 FTC, July 3rd
As always, here is the full transcript. Some of the answers are really, really long, so you may want to check it out over at INN.
WHAT IS THE IN-GAME BANKING STRUCTURE GOING TO BE LIKE, NOT MUCH HAS REALLY BEEN MENTIONED ABOUT IT (OR I’VE MISSED IT), DO WE GET IN GAME STATEMENTS, HOW DO YOU ‘WIRE’ CREDITS TO OTHER CITIZENS, ETC..
All banking is done via app on mobiGlass. Any other particulars haven't really been worked out at this point yet, though Tony has many excellent ideas he is working on. (Tony Zurovec also does investing and day trading in real life.) When goods are traded, though, nothing is instant, so they will need to be moved to a destination, wherever they are.
I’M WONDERING HOW THE IMMINENT RELEASE OF WINDOWS 10 WILL AFFECT THE COMMUNITY WITH REGARDS TO PLAYING AC OR SM? WILL WE BE ABLE TO INSTALL WIN 10 AND JUST ROLL ON AS WE HAVE? OR SHOULD WE BE WAITING FOR SOME UPDATES?
We're still in the early days of Windows 10, and have been testing it for issues since we had it slightly earlier. There have been no glaring issues, and only a few things so far where we have had to have devs work on it, but right now there is nothing game-breaking.
I WONDERED HOW THE IMPLEMENTATION OF VIRTUAL REALITY IS COMING FORTH NOW THAT CRYENGINE HAS NATIVE SUPPORT FOR OCULUS RIFT. ANY PROGRESS OR PLANS ON THIS TOPIC?
Once Star Marine is out, they will implement CryEngine 3.7 and 3.8 into their current version of the engine, and that will boost VR performance. They are holding off on implementation until Star Marine goes live.
HAS CIG EVER CONSIDERED ADDING A ‘HUNTING’ PROFESSION TO STAR CITIZEN, WHICH WOULD ALLOW PLAYERS TO TRAVEL TO WILDERNESS LANDING ZONES AND HUNT DANGEROUS ALIEN BEASTS?
It is something that is being thought about once the core game is finished. They need to get better degrees of procedural generation working first, and the guys in Frankfurt are eager to get started, but they need to finish what they have planned for launch done first. Evolve (another CryEngine game) does this.
MY QUESTION IS ABOUT [WORMS, NO IT’S NOT] THE HISTORY AND LIFE OF YOUR SHIP. WILL YOUR SHIP BE ABLE TO BE UNIQUELY NAMED AND CARRY A HISTORY WITH IT THAT WOULD BE ATTACHED TO THE SHIPS PARTICULAR HULL NUMBER OR SERIAL NUMBER THAT WOULD BE RESET OR ‘LOST’ UPON COMPLETE HULL OR SHIP DESTRUCTION?
There will be incentives to keep yourself and your ship intact as long as you can in the PU, for reasons both obvious and not so much. It's going to be a bit of a shift going into the PU from AC, where once you die in there everything is refreshed anew. It will be nothing like that in the PU. Your ship in the PU will have things like kills attributed to that craft.
WHAT WILL THE SPOKEN INTERACTION WITH NPC’S IN SQUADRON 42 BE LIKE? WILL IT BE MORE LIKE A TRADITIONAL GAME FROM THE PAST, WHERE ONE WOULD PICK AN ANSWER A-D IN A POP UP WINDOW?
This one cannot be summarized adequately, so here's a lengthy copypasta from INN:
WILL THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS ALLOWED INTO AN INSTANCE CHANGE DEPENDING ON LOCATION? FOR EXAMPLE, WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO INTERACT WITH MORE PLAYERS ON A STATION OR PLANET SIDE SINCE THERE ARE NO SHIP ASSETS TO RENDER?
This is currently being worked on actively, especially by the team in Frankfurt. Right now it all depends on how complex the structures around the players are. If there is a ship with a lot of moving parts, that obviously needs more information to go through the network and that causes lag. They're working on a situation where individual servers of machines might be doing the work for a ship or two, and then having that coordinating with other servers, to be able to get a lot of throughput in a smaller area. Tony is also working on being able to get a -lot- of people into the social areas, simply because those areas are for the most part completely static levels, and how many people they can get there should show the upper limit of what they are currently able to do.
WHAT DESIGNATES A SHORT RANGE SHIP FROM A LONG RANGE SHIP? IS IT THE PRESENCE OF QUANTUM/JUMP DRIVES? A CERTAIN NUMBER OF JUMPS WITHOUT REFUELING?
Essentially, yes. It's not actually definied by CIG yet, but there are typically three types of craft in games. Snubfighters and utility craft, which have no quantum or jump drives and require a mothership, of which there are only a couple in the game right now. Then there are racers and most fighters, which have a quantum drive but no jump drive unless you specially install one - there are a fair number of those. Finally, most of the rest of the available ships have quantum and jump drives. Long range craft, like the Vanguard, simply have a lot more fuel meaning they can go further. A ship like the Starfarer could potentially go on forever.
ASIDE FROM AESTHETICS, WHAT IS THE BENEFIT TO THE PLAYER OF MERGING FIRST AND THIRD PERSON ANIMATIONS?
The main (and arguably biggest) reason is so that everything you see yourself doing will match up with what everyone else sees you doing too.
HOW DO YOU HANDLE THE SOMETIMES HARSH CRITICISM AND TAKE CARE THAT THE TEAM DOESN’T LOSE MOTIVATION?
Pretty much everyone on the project dreams about this game and what it can be, so it's something that they -really- want to see happen. There will always be hard times, and CR claims that he can give people a hard time internally too when something slips, but they are warned to have thick skin when they start because of the open form of development.
ATV, July 30thSanta Monica
- Working on the Glaive.
- Doing a lot of character concepts, getting the pipeline going.
- AI programmer has been working on adapting AI to fly larger ships. Flight characteristics for a large ship will be different, not as much YAW and Pitch. This is for multiplayer games, and for when you might take on larger ships in Pirate Swarm.
- Working on cleaning up netcode and player prediction. It’s been ongoing, but they’ve made good strides this week to reducing lag.
- Mocked up ‘hit indicators’ so you can tell what direction shots are coming from. Chris has had his feedback put into those, and they’re being implemented now.
- Star Marine is, for all intents and purposes, feature complete at this point. Right now they are just fixing bugs, bugs, and more bugs.
- Working on a style guide for Micro-tech. A little bit of fancy mixed in with a little bit of not so fancy.
- Lots of clothing concepts being worked on for ‘Terra – Fashion Casual’. residents of the Terran sphere of influence will be wearing Terran style clothing, and this will be their casual-wear.
- Working on the Nyx market – a new way of shopping. Rather than shops, it’ll be carts, more like a farmers market. Any angle you approach it, you see the bustle and activity, NPC and player activity, lots of transactions and such. Coming along well. The shopping experience will be a bit different at the Nyx-Levski landing zone than on Terra.
- Lots of work on the 1.1.5 patch. Game feels a lot tighter, balance seems more… balanced.
- Feedback that fans have been sending has been very helpful. Keep the feedback coming.
- 1.1.5 is the first patch using the new Audio software, Wwise.
Reverse the Verse
- Lot of GamesCom prep from Ben, played through the demo a few times.
- 1.1.6 hit PTU this week, hoping for live next week.
- Additional merchandise in the store right now. Pre-orders for RSI mousepads are up. If you’re a subscriber (one, they love you, and two, you get other merchandise just for you) you can get a track jacket.
- Monthly report will come out the day of GamesCom
- Q: Will other ships ever use the escape pod concept the Vanguard has? A: Yes.
- Lando sent out a tweet yesterday about two ships entering Q-drive, and while he doesn’t have video, apparently two ships emerged at the same time in the same space and just merged. Arms and legs everywhere.
- James plans on updating the ship info page probably monthly or bi-monthly (once every two months).
- Working on re-jigging the ship pipeline working on getting early ships out earlier. Foundry 42 will be working on things like the Caterpillar. More info on that after GamesCom. Some early ships will come online earlier than intended. Not as early as we’d probably like, but sooner than originally intended.
- Art sneak peek was from the Terra White-Collar collection of PU clothing.
- Q: In the PU, will upgrading ship parts increase things like top speed? Will upgrading the thrusters make it perform faster? A: No permanent answer, because they are still doing balancing and tweaking to the thruster systems. Right now it's looking like 'possibly'.
- There will be a fly free week at GamesCom. Disco Lando’s going to build a little ship on camera.
- No plans for a convention in the DC / Maryland area yet. (BOO HISS! -Jasticus)
- They are doing DragonCon.
- Expect to see some Cutlass action real soon. It’s totally modular now.
- Q: Will the Connie variants available at the same time as the Andromeda? A: No. Andromeda first.
- Q: Is flair tradable in PU? A: Yes. It’s tradeable now.
- Q: Merlin able to dock with ships other than Connie? A: Yes. There’s a Merlin QA post that went up on Wednesday, and that’s addressed in there. Includes known ships right now that it can dock. No over-promising on future ships until they get the base of the ship flyable.
- They are not changing the Cutlass. (Ben reads out the original description for the Cutlass). Idea since the beginning. It’s an interceptor. It cracks open transports, and collects the stuff. Comes from the original Privateer, cause the Galaxy was the best ship for Piracy. Blow up shit, take all their stuff. That’s the goal of it.
- No news on the new corvette.
- There’s no more information on fuel yet.
- Quantum Drive is an in-system drive for going places in a star system very quickly. It’s a sub-light drive for crossing great distances quickly, because star systems are much bigger than everyone imagines. Q-drive is how you get from Earth from Jupiter. Jump Drive is how you’d get from the Sol system to another system.
- Q: Will we be able to discover marine life? A: They’d like to. One of the pods on the Endeavor will be for collecting specimens. Science pods confirmed.
- Grabby Hands: Calix and Matt talked about it in the chat. Something Calix did when he was doing cargo work. Want it to look cool, but it’s not going to be something where you can really see your grabby hands go all over the place. It’ll be cool when it goes live, won’t be in initial FPS. It’s still going to be a ways out.
- Q: Possible to play and have fun without having a spaceship? A: From a technical standpoint, no, because you have to have a game package when the game starts, and those include at least one ship. Theoretically, yes, you could fly around in other people’s ships and never fly your own, and just be crew, engineer, marine, attendant, the list goes on...
- Q: Banu MM in hangar when? A: No specific date. Being worked on, but no specific date.
- Q: Attempt to reduce load screens? A: Yes. The idea is not to have them at all, and they’re working towards that.
- Q: Why no space whales? A: Tell CR you want space whales.
- Q: Any more Aegis ships in the next 4-6 months? A: Can’t comment on that.
- Q: Will the game have actual star systems like Sirius and Alpha Centauri? A: Ongoing debate. Settled on right now that all the systems map to actual ones, but not a big deal. Letting people be creative from that point.
- Q: More Game Commander episodes on the way? A: Yes. One might be filming today. They’ll come when they come. No real schedule. When there’s something interesting to show.
- Q: Carrack vs Endeavor for Science? A: Carrack is more the front-line, out there, exploring and categorizing stars and scanning things and bringing things home. Endeavor’s more of a home base. Big floaty research lab that you come home to. Carrack brings the data to the Endeavor, Endeavor does stuff with it.
- Q: Landing zone on the moon(Luna)? A: TBD, but possibly.
- Q: Can you stop mid jump? A: No.
- Q: Starfarer have toilet paper? A: They took the criticism of that seriously. It’ll be responded to next pass.
- Q: SATAball included in initial release of Star Marine? A: Current plan is to get Gold Horizon first, then follow with SATAball.
- Q: Vanguard escape pod being destroyed? A: Super heavily armoured. It’s possible, but don’t be worried about it. Even in its description, it has tech inside to ghost that the whole ship was blown up. They want you to get away if you have to use it. Vanguard will still live up to the whole ‘tough as nails’ thing.
- Frankfurt are really busy right now, no time to get onto AtV. But they’ll be talked to during GamesCom.
- Q: Progress on fourth landing site for Earth? A: Can’t talk about that right now
- Q: Pipeline timelapse? A: Maybe eventually. Takes a long time from concept to ship, and they’d want to show one that goes through a normal cycle. Lisa likes the idea, but not now. Maybe eventually.
- Might be some kind of ‘making of the Vanguard’ at some point.
- Behaviour and Turbulent are still working hard. Behaviour are supporting PU development. Building worlds and art and character customization stuff, turbulent doing web stuff.
- Probably no video FPS update. But there’ll be a lot of information on it when it’s released.
- Q: Height and weight adjustments to characters? A: Yes.
- Q: Holiday after GamesCom? A: No. Full speed ahead to CitizenCon. And there are milestones between the two.
- Vanguard probably not flyable before end of the year. Solidifying this week what ships to work on after GamesCom.
- Should be some information later about what ships to expect by the end of the year soon though.
- Q: Pax Prime? A: They will not be at Pax Prime.
- Q: Next ship in hangar? A: No idea. Cool stuff coming up, but can’t talk about it.
- New weapons and fleshing them out stalled as they’re getting the physically based damage system and the components done.
- S1 automatics and gatlings will happen, but they take time.
- Q: Next Dave Hobbins concept ship? A: He’s currently working on Reliant variants. See ‘em when they’re done.
- Q: Hope variant right away on Endeavor sale? A: Probably not. Science pods are being worked on first.
- Yes, there are plans for two-tier authentication
- Xi’An scout is close, but it’s on the backburner for GamesCom. After GamesCom, UK will be working on it again
- MIS vs. Cutlass, depends on who gets the drop on who, and if the Cutlass can avoid the first volley of missiles from the MIS, cause the missiles won’t reload instantly.
Next week there will be no ATV or RTV as they will all be in Germany for Gamescom.
This Week in SUN...There was actually a decent kerfluffle, if you've paid attention to any of the current serviceman announcements, you are hopefully aware. There will be nothing announced here (in public) unless the College wishes to put out a statement about anything, once everything is settled and organized.
If you haven't seen, well, go look.
Maybe in a week or two, there will be more information on that regard - if anything need be posted at all.
Keep cool and game on,